Correlates, Determinants & Consequences
Percentage of people who trust people in general vs GNP per capita – Beinhocker (2006)2
Percentage of people expressing high level of trust in others (2008) vs. income inequality by Gini index (mid-2000s) – Max Roser3
|Australia||Gini||Level of Trust|
Share reporting trust in people and index of civic engagement vs index of peaceful collective decision making – World Development Report (2013)4
Perceived social network support: percentage of people who have relatives or friends they can count on, 2012 – OECD (2013)5
Data Quality & Definition
The World Database of Trust (by Harvey S. James) lists definitions of trust and research publications.
Interpersonal trust levels as measured by the World Values Survey and European Values Study, and the European Social Survey and Afrobarometer Survey – Inglehart & Welzel (2010)6
- Data: OECD data on trust is published in the Society at a Glance – OECD Social Indicators
- Geographical coverage: OECD member states
- Time span: Recent years
- Available at: The latest of which is from 2011 and is online here.
The World Value Survey (WVS)
- Data: Data on trust and many other social and cultural characteristics from cross-national and time-series surveys
- Geographical coverage: The WVS covers almost 100 societies (nearly 90% of the world’s population).
- Time span: Several waves of surveys from 1981 to 2014
- Available at: The data on trust is available online at the Integrated European Value Survey / World Value Survey data section here. The website of the WVS is here.