Launch of Southeast Asia Energy Outlook 2015
IEA – The ten countries that make up the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) are exerting an increasingly important influence on global energy trends. Underpinned by rapid economic and demographic growth, energy demand in the region has more than doubled in the last 25 years, a trend that is set to continue over the period to 2040. Given Southeast Asia’s role as a global growth engine, understanding what is shaping energy markets in this vibrant region and the implications for energy security and the environment is vital for policy makers and anyone with a stake in the energy sector.
The International Energy Agency, in collaboration with the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) prepared the Southeast Asia Energy Outlook 2015 in response to a request from ministers at the Seventh East Asia Summit Energy in Bali, Indonesia, in 2013. Drawing on the latest data and policy and market developments, this report examines the current status and future prospects for energy markets in the region and their implications for energy security, the environment and economic development.
The report highlights:
- Trends in domestic energy demand and supply prospects to 2040, broken down by fuel and sector.
- The outlook for the power sector and the increasing share of coal in the region’s electricity generation.
- The role that Southeast Asia will play in international energy trade and the implications for its energy expenditures.
- The potential energy and environmental benefits of implementing pragmatic measures that would help limit the rise in the region’s greenhouse gas emissions.
- An in-depth analysis of energy prospects in Malaysia to 2040.
- A focus on four key issues that will shape the direction of the region’s energy system: power grid interconnection, energy investment, energy access and fossil fuel subsidies.
The same event will also feature the launch of the IEA publication Development Prospects for ASEAN Power Sector: Towards Electricity Market Integration.