|Vovinam is a popular sport in Vietnam. Photo: Vovinam Club, Ho Chi Minh City University of Law|
A large proportion of young people in Vietnam are living a sedentary lifestyle as they spend more time surfing the internet, playing online games, working on computers, or simply just sitting down doing nothing.
After class, Nguyen Hoang Ha, an undergrad at Bach Khoa University in Ho Chi Minh City, would simply go back home for dinner, lesson revision, movies, and sleep.
He does not do sports even in his spare hours. Tiếp tục đọc “Young Vietnamese students: Facebook, bubble tea, and no physical exercise”
|Pickpockets are most active when passengers board buses. Photo: Tuoi Tre|
The public bus is a popular means of transport among Vietnamese students for reasons of health, safety and cost-effectiveness. However, many have expressed concerns over growing pickpocketing.
She was Trinh Thi Hong, director of Minh Hong Biotechnology Company based in Da Nang.
Hong’s washing liquid is made after a special process. It needs 3 kilograms of plant waste to create 2 liters of finished liquid. The waste is cleaned (tree leaves, vegetables, flowers and fruits) and cut it into 3 cm pieces. It is mixed with 10 kilograms of water and 300 grams of sugar and put in in a closed bucket for 30 days. Tiếp tục đọc “Dishwashing, floor-cleaning liquid made of plant waste”
– Contrasting visions as APEC CEO Summit closes
– TPP-11 gets new name, renewed growth focus
– 2017 APEC Ministerial Meeting Joint Ministerial Statement
– The 25th APEC Economic Leaders’ Meeting adopts Đà Nẵng Declaration
– APEC 2017: Voices of the Future issues declaration for youth
– Trade ministers agree Asia-Pacific trade pact without US
– Trump brings tough trade message in vision for Asia in Vietnam speech
– Vietnam top APEC target for CEOs’ overseas investment, despite automation challenges: survey
– Forest business forum held in Hà Nội
– Australia funds to empower women economically
– Việt Nam – Canada Joint statement on Comprehensive Relationship
– Trump’s $250 billion China ‘miracle’ adds gloss to ‘off-kilter’ trade
– TPP trade deal talks reach critical point at Asia-Pacific summit
– Vietnam action agenda must focus on inclusion: APEC Secretariat
– Vietnam premier highlights solutions for development at APEC business summit
– Positive impacts of APEC events on Vietnamese business
– Philippines to ask China [At APEC Summit] to clarify its intentions in disputed sea
– Canada says won’t be rushed on TPP trade deal at Asia-Pacific meeting
– Silence on Pacific Rim ministers’ talks ahead of APEC summit
– Nhật Bản, Hàn Quốc, Philippines cam kết thúc đẩy tự do thương mại trong APEC
– Mexican President: Vietnam, Mexico help connect Asia Pacific
– Các điểm đến ở Hội An chờ đoàn phu nhân lãnh đạo APEC
– APEC 2017: ABAC to urge leaders to focus on trade reform
– Ba cam kết lớn của Thủ tướng trước 2.000 doanh nghiệp tại APEC
– Doanh nghiệp muốn APEC ưu tiên phát triển thương mại số
– Vietnam to become trustworthy trade partner: PM
– Thủ tướng: Việt Nam muốn tiếp tục là đối tác kinh doanh tin cậy
– “APEC Vietnam 2017 – Fostering a shared future in a changing world”
– Những cơ hội và thách thức APEC
– APEC 2017: Joining APEC, strategic move of Vietnam
– Các sự kiện quan trọng của Tuần lễ cấp cao APEC
– Khai mạc Tuần lễ Cấp cao APEC ở Đà Nẵng
– CSOM opens APEC 2017 Economic Leaders’ Week in Da Nang
– APEC 2017 elevates Vietnam’s political posture
– APEC delegates arrive at Đà Nẵng Airport
– Nơi đón tiếp, nghỉ ngơi của các đoàn tham gia APEC (Lodging)
– Công an, quân đội xuất quân bảo vệ APEC (Security forces)
– Specialized vehicles to protect APEC Summit 2017 in Da Nang
– Việt Nam đã chuẩn bị gì cho APEC?
– Thủ tướng: ‘APEC đang đối mặt với nhiều thách thức’
|Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc has green lighted the target programme to cope with climate change and promote green growth during 2016-20. — Photo VGP|
HÀ NỘI — Prime Minister Nguyễn Xuân Phúc has green lighted the target programme to cope with climate change and promote green growth during 2016-20.
The programme is designed to improve local residents’ abilities to adapt to climate change, boost green growth and transition towards a low-carbon economy. Tiếp tục đọc “PM approves climate change, green growth programme”
HÀ NỘI — A major driver of the illegal wildlife trade in the Golden Triangle – the border area where Thailand, Laos and Myanmar – is tourists from Việt Nam and China.
This was one of the conclusions of a report released on Thursday by the World Wildlife Fund to highlight ten of the Most Widely Traded Endangered Species in the markets of the Golden Triangle.
The tourists are believed to travel to areas such as MongLa and Tachilek in Myanmar, and border areas such as Boten and the Golden Triangle Special Economic Zone in Laos. Tiếp tục đọc “WWF report: Vietnamese, Chinese tourists blamed for wildlife trafficking”
While the US’s withdrawal is a big blow to the TPP, the agreement forged after five years of negotiations still has a lot to offer. Võ Trí Thành explains.
|In February 2016, the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP), one of the world’s biggest and most-awaited multinational trade deals was signed by 12 member economies in New Zealand. The deal was the fruit of negotiations that had lasted five years.|
|Wrapped fruit: Bùi Văn Buôn checks on the tứ quý mangoes in his garden in Bến Tre Province. — VNS Photo Hoàng Nguyên|
Viet Nam News Beset by climate change impacts, Mekong Delta farmers give up on rice, but the real answer lies in organic farming, experts aver.
By Hoàng Nguyên
MEKONG DELTA – When Bùi Văn Muôn decided to grow tứ quý mango trees 16 years ago, he did not expect the fruit would become a key agricultural crop cultivated to adapt to climate change.
“Back then, when I asked neighbours to buy and plant tứ quý mango trees here, they showed little interest as the fruit tasted a bit sour and they thought it might not fetch good prices in the market,” the 50-year-old farmer in Bến Tre Province recalled. Tiếp tục đọc “Farmers shift to more resilient crops in the Delta”
|Watchful: Lê Nguyện (left) supervises the process of making dragonfruit wine at her co-operative in Bình Thuận Province. She wants to expand the co-operative to making dragonfruit juice as well, but like many other SMEs, lacks funds. Photo Courtesy of Lê Nguyện|
Empowering female entrepreneurs is a no-brainer in the most important areas – employment generation and sustainable development; the evidence is that they are more responsible stewards, writes Thu Vân.
The sad, shocking sight of large amounts of dragonfruit being fed to cattle or left to rot on roadsides in many places smote her heart.
Lê Nguyện was also haunted by the fate of farmers in the southern province of Bình Thuận, a principal producer of dragon fruit in Việt Nam, as prices fell and they suffered huge losses in 2014 and 2015.
She thought about ways to redeem the situation and ensure it would not be repeated. She came up with the idea of establishing a co-operative to buy dragonfruit at a stable and reasonable price from local farmers, and to make wine with it as an added value product. Tiếp tục đọc “When women mean business, society thrives”
1. Nguyễn, Nguyễn everywhere
A staggering number of Vietnamese people have the same family name – Nguyễn (many Westerners pronounce this as Win to no complaints, so it’s a win-win situation).
According to the Họ và tên người Việt Nam (Family names and given names of Vietnamese), published by the Social Sciences Publishing House, Nguyễn is the family name of a whopping 38.4 per cent of the population. Others in top five last name ranking include Trần (12.1 per cent), Lê (9.5 per cent), Phạm (7 per cent) and Hoàng/Huỳnh (5.1 per cent). Tiếp tục đọc “Trivia not trivial: 10 curiosity piquing factoids”
Let’s take a look at some art galleries in town: Tiếp tục đọc “Hội An offers great art galleries”
|VinFast CEO James B. DeLuca|
The launch of production plans for the first-ever made-in-Việt Nam cars has ignited hopes of a big boost for the domestic auto and auto parts industries. Việt Nam News reporter Mai Hương spoke with VinFast CEO James B. DeLuca about the company’s market vision.
What does your company’s advent portend for Việt Nam’s auto industry? Tiếp tục đọc “New car maker to hit the road running”
Chuỗi bài Bão Damrey
|A residential area in the central Phú Yên Province remains flooded on Sunday. — VNA/VNS Photo Thế Lập.|