- SSFFC medical products may cause harm to patients and fail to treat the diseases for which they were intended.
- They lead to loss of confidence in medicines, healthcare providers and health systems.
- They affect every region of the world.
- SSFFC medical products from all main therapeutic categories have been reported to WHO including medicines, vaccines and in vitro diagnostics.
- Anti-malarials and antibiotics are amongst the most commonly reported SSFFC medical products.
- Both Generic and Innovator medicines are falsified including very expensive products for cancer to very inexpensive products for treatment of pain.
- They can be found in illegal street markets, via unregulated websites through to pharmacies, clinics and hospitals.