North Korea might test-launch ICBM as soon as Friday: South Korean media

Reuters, AFP-JIJI, Jan 19, 2017

North Korea may be preparing to test-launch a new, upgraded prototype of an intercontinental ballistic missile, South Korean media reported on Thursday, citing military sources.

In his New Year’s speech, leader Kim Jong Un said North Korea was close to test-launching an ICBM, and state media have said a launch could come at any time. Experts on the isolated and nuclear-capable country’s missile program believe the claims to be credible. Tiếp tục đọc “North Korea might test-launch ICBM as soon as Friday: South Korean media”

In a Blow to Prosecutor, South Korean Court Blocks Arrest of Samsung Group Leader

Jay Y. Lee, the leader of Samsung, leaving court in Seoul on Wednesday. Credit Jung Yeon-Je/Agence France-Presse — Getty Images

SEOUL, South Korea — A South Korean court on Thursday blocked a prosecutor’s attempt to arrest Jay Y. Lee, the leader of Samsung, saying there was not enough evidence that Mr. Lee had bribed President Park Geun-hye, in a scandal that led to her impeachment.

A justice on the Central District Court in Seoul, Cho Eui-yeon, rejected the prosecutor’s request to issue an arrest warrant, saying said it was “difficult to recognize the need” to incarcerate Mr. Lee.

Mr. Lee, a third-generation scion and vice chairman of Samsung, one of the world’s biggest conglomerates, was immediately released from a detention center outside Seoul, where he had been waiting for the court to decide whether he should be formally arrested.

Continue reading on New York Times

Former U.N. chief Ban throws weight behind THAAD deployment

/

by

Staff Writer, Jan 15, 2017

Former United Nations chief and presumptive South Korean presidential candidate Ban Ki-moon has backed the deployment later this year of a U.S. anti-missile system to the country amid North Korea’s progress in its nuclear and missile programs.

“Given the reality of the Korean Peninsula being in an almost quasi-war situation, it is right for the government to take such a measure,” Ban was quoted by the Yonhap news agency as saying during a trip to the South Korean Navy’s 2nd Fleet Command in Pyeongtaek, 70 km south of Seoul. “I understand that it is to be deployed for defensive purposes as North Korea continues to develop nuclear weapons and accumulate ballistic missile technology,” he said. Tiếp tục đọc “Former U.N. chief Ban throws weight behind THAAD deployment”

China, Russia take aim at U.S. anti-missile system planned for deployment in South Korea

by Jan 13, 2017

China and Russia have agreed to take unspecified “countermeasures” in response to the planned U.S. deployment of an anti-missile system to South Korea — a move that came as Defense Minister Tomomi Inada inspected a version of the system on the U.S. territory of Guam on Friday.

The countermeasures in response to the U.S. deployment of the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) system will be “aimed at safeguarding interests of China and Russia and the strategic balance in the region,” China’s state-run Xinhua News Agency reported, quoting a statement released after a meeting of Russian and Chinese security officials. Tiếp tục đọc “China, Russia take aim at U.S. anti-missile system planned for deployment in South Korea”

North Korea, Rebuking Trump, Says It Can Test Long-Range Missile ‘Anytime’

North Korea’s leader, Kim Jong-un, in Pyongyang, the capital, in an undated photo. Mr. Kim has said that his country has reached a “final stage” in preparing to test an intercontinental ballistic missile. Credit Korean Central News Agency, via Reuters

SEOUL, South Korea — Less than a week after Donald J. Trump taunted North Korea over its ballistic missile capabilities, North Korea has said that it could conduct its first test of an intercontinental missile “anytime and anywhere” in a rebuke to the incoming president.

Although North Korea has vowed to develop the ability to attack the United States with nuclear warheads and has tested missiles that can reach throughout the Korean Peninsula and its vicinity, it has never tested a long-range missile that could fly over the Pacific.

Continue reading on New York Times

South Korea to form brigade to remove North’s leadership if war breaks out

jAPAN TIMES

South Korea to form brigade to remove North’s leadership if war breaks out

AP Jan 6, 2017

The brigade will aim to remove the North’s wartime command and paralyze its function if war breaks out, according to an official from Seoul’s Defense Ministry, who refused to be named, citing office rules. The brigade was originally planned to be ready by 2019. The official refused to say whether the brigade will train to execute pre-emptive strikes. Tiếp tục đọc “South Korea to form brigade to remove North’s leadership if war breaks out”

North Korea’s Kim guides special operations drill targeting Blue House

Reuters Dec 12, 2016

North Korean leader Kim Jong Un guided a special operations drill targeting the South, the North’s media reported on Sunday, as rival South Korea remained on alert for any attempt by the North to take advantage of political turmoil in the South.

The North’s KCNA state news agency report did not say when North Korean forces conducted the combat exercise, nor did it mention the South Korean parliament’s vote on Friday to impeach its president, Park Geun-hye. Tiếp tục đọc “North Korea’s Kim guides special operations drill targeting Blue House”

Park impeachment filed as South Koreans step up protest

aljazeera Dec.4, 2016

Park impeachment filed as South Koreans step up protest

Up to 1.7 million people gather in Seoul in what is called the largest-ever mass protest in South Korea’s history.

 Park Geun-hye, the largest-ever mass gathering in the country’s history.

It was the sixth straight weekend that massive crowds gathered in the capital, Seoul, to force Park out of office, as the country’s three opposition parties introduced an impeachment bill in parliament.

Protest organisers told Al Jazeera the number of demonstrators swelled to 1.7 million as of 13:00 GMT on Saturday, surpassing last weekend’s 1.5 million people.
Tiếp tục đọc “Park impeachment filed as South Koreans step up protest”

46 Vietnamese tourists disappear from Jeju Island: S.Korea media

TUOI TRE NEWS

UPDATED : 01/16/2016 09:50 GMT + 7

A group of Vietnamese tourists have ‘vanished’ into thin air when they were visiting the South Korean resort island of Jeju, local media reported on Friday.

The 46 disappeared people are among 155 Vietnamese vacationers who started visiting the island for a six-day trip on Tuesday, according to South Korea’s Yonhap news agency.

These visitors from Vietnam, as well as other countries that are not linked to terrorism, are allowed to enter and stay on Jeju without a visa for up to 30 days on tourism purpose, according to a special act applicable for the island.